Friday, 5 September 2014

An end of season reflection...

So my season has unfortunately ended early due to some tendinitis in my Achilles which is pretty disappointing, but hey these things happen! It's been a super short "pilot" season as my first year in the elite category and I have learnt so much with the help of my coach James (High Rise Coaching) and the companies that have supported me throughout the year.

Isaac Paddock



I can't begin to thank High Rise Coaching, Lizard Skins, Muc-off, POC, Ride 100%, Specialized and 2:1MTB Racing enough for their help this year. I have met some fantastic people and am so grateful for the support and encouragement I have received.

It's so crazy looking back to when I first started this blog...I had just decided to start riding again after sustaining a bad injury and permanent damage to my left arm which now has little movement (luckily for me it is stuck in handle bar position!). I was inspired by Eilish McColgan, an athlete I used to train with during my time at Dundee University where I was a competitive runner. Eilish sustained a bad injury to her foot in 2011 and began writing a blog detailing her come back story, since her injury Eilish has competed in the London Olympics and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. I began running at university when I realised that cycling, particularly downhill mountain biking wasn't going to be an option for me given the state of my arm. Although I loved running I really missed racing my bike...I began reading Eilish's blog and quickly decided that I was going to begin a journey similar to hers and work my way to the top of the sport I love.




So I began this blog in September 2012...since then I have won the non-elite senior British Champs, the British Universities Champs, the Scottish Series Champs, moved into the elite category and have been selected to represent Great Britain at World Cup level. I know I still have a very long way to go, but I'm proud of what I have achieved and I'm so grateful to everyone who has inspired and supported me in my journey so far.

I plan to keep climbing up the ladder to becoming a professional racer and write another cheesy reflection in a few years time!



The next few weeks will be spent healing up my ankle and having some post season rest time before getting next years plans together....exciting times ahead!

Good luck to all Team GB in World Champs! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment